Francophone History

The Fellowship French mission was founded in 1958 during the persecution years in Quebec when those proselyting could be jailed for their “crime”.

Hundreds of churches and individuals across Canada began to prayerfully support the work in Quebec and exciting things began to happen. They also gave financially and sent workers to assist in the discipling of new believers and in the development of churches.

In 1971, with 17 Francophone churches, the AÉBÉQ Region (Association d'Églises Baptistes Évangéliques au Québec) was born. Since that time, over 84 churches have been established and French Canadian leadership are ably supported and trained by the Region’s church-based seminary, SEMBEQ. Today, there are between 8,000 and 9,000 believers worshipping every Sunday in the AÉBÉQ churches.

While we praise God for the work He has accomplished in this Region of our country, there is still much work to be done. There are still six million Francophones within Quebec, plus another 800,000+ Francophone outside of Quebec (Ontario: 488,000; New Brunswick: 233,000; Manitoba: 100,000) who are unreached with the Gospel.

In 2014, in recognition of the growing maturity of our AÉBÉQ Region, a new model for reaching Francophone Canada was launched. While keeping clearly focused on the crucial fact that Quebec and other pockets of Francophones throughout Canada are still a tremendously needy mission field, Fellowship churches and individual donors across Canada are being encouraged to engage in collaborative relationships with Francophone church plants through strategic partnerships.

Well over 100 partnerships have been formed between Fellowship churches in various areas across Canada and Francophone church plants. Through mutual prayer for one another, work teams, and the sharing of resources, God is doing a great work!