I recently watched the movie, The Case for Christ on Netflix. The story of journalist-turned-pastor, Lee Strobel, who journeyed from atheist to Christ-follower. His book of the same title and follow up books have sold more than 14 million copies. The movie was actually pretty good.
Easter is the Mount Everest of the Christian calendar and an opportunity to share the cap-stone of the Christian faith: the resurrection. Lee Strobel set out to disprove the resurrection, but became convinced of its truth. What other reactions to the resurrection do we find in Matthew chapter 28?
- The guards fear (vv. 4, 11, 15)
- The women’s joy (vv. 1, 5-9)
- The Chief Priests’ deception (vv. 11-14)
- The disciples’ obedience (vv. 10, 16-17)
- The Lord’s commission (vv. 18-20)
Our co-mission this Easter is to “go”. Go and tell. Make disciples. Testify what we know about those who actually saw Jesus after His resurrection. The evidence is significant:
Resurrection Witnesses and Testimonials:
- The visit of the women to the tomb of Jesus early Sunday morning. Mark 16:1; Matt. 28:1, 5-8; Luke 24:1-8; John 20:1
- The earthquake and rolling away of the stone by the angel; and the fear of the Roman guards. Matt. 28:2-4; Luke 24:4
- Mary Magdalene and other women report to the apostles – Peter and John visit the empty tomb. Luke 24:9-12; John 20:2-10
- The appearance to Mary Magdalene and the message to the apostles. John 20:11-18
- The appearance of Jesus to the other women. Matt. 28:9-10
- “Some” of the guards report to the Jewish rulers. Matt. 28: 11-15
- The appearance to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus. Mark 16:12-13; Luke 24:13-22
- The report of the two disciples and the news of Christ’s appearance before Peter. Luke 24:33-35; 1 Cor. 15:5
- The appearance to the astonished disciples (except Thomas) and they’re given a commission. Mark 16:14; Luke 24:36-43; John 20:19-25
- The appearance to the disciples on the following Sunday night… with Thomas. John 20:26-31; 1 Cor. 15:5
- The appearance to seven disciples beside the Sea of Galilee. John 21:1-25
- The appearance to 500 on an appointed mountain in Galilee and the great commission is given. Mark 16:15-18; Matt. 28:16-20; 1 Cor. 15:6
- The final appearance and Ascension. Luke 24:44-49; Acts 1:3-8
And those who are convinced of Christ’s resurrection, this promise:
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” Do you believe this?
- John 11:25-26
The Good News really is good news!